108 South Main is a historic buiding int the old section of the boomtown named after John O’ Fallon, a soldier and railroad man from St. Louis. The structure traces its history back to 1862 when Frederick Westhoff opened Westhoff Mercantile. It was the oldest continuously run business in O’fallon before closing in 1990. After sitting empty for a few years, McGurk’s Public House opened in November of 1999.
In addition to the town’s first newspaper being printed here, it was also the site of O’Fallon’s first power plant. The historic plaque on the building’s facade mentions something especially significant, given the building’s new life, 108 South Main Street has been a “social gathering place” for most of its existence.
McGurk’s magnificent black walnut bar, hand-carved by Stuart Mark Smith, is the perfect setting for gathering with friends and family. The bar’s stained glass is more than 100 years old and was salvaged from an abandoned St. Louis church. McGurk’s beautiful outdoor garden and fountain area is a great place to spend spring and summer evenings.
John D. McGurk’s Irish Pub
, our sister restaurant, opened in 1978 and is also housed in a historic building in the Soulard neighborhood of downtown St. Louis. The name stems from a song by famed Irish musicians the Irish Rovers. Over the course of its more than four decades of operation, it has become something of an American musical shrine, particularly in the clannish world of traditional Irish music.